Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Kelee: Perforating Tags


I don't want to get too religious in a crafty blog, but this is something that has been weighing heavy on my heart. Ben and I are some of those rare devout people who remember our New Year's Resolutions and keep them holy. Usually we make fun and productive Resies, mostly about art. Finish that album. Make myself a new hat. Buy more yarn. Learn to use that new pedal. Find the perfect homemade Twinkies recipe.
One of mine for this year is to keep up with my crafty sales. Don't get your 1040s in a wad. I record my sales through our store and pay all the proper sales and income taxes on them, like the sweet law-abiding lady that I am. However, they just melt right into the cauldron o' sales with the used copies of Dr. Mario for Gameboy Color and Bell Biv Devoe on LP. It was very hard to keep up with, however, since Ben works at the store way more often than I do. 
We have conversations like this:
Ben: You sold a hat today.
Kelee: Yahooo! Which one?
Ben: I think it might have been green. Or perhaps red. Or, did you have a blue one?
Kelee: Well, who bought it?
Ben: I don't know their name. You would know them, but it would take me too long to try to describe them.

I don't really blame him, though, because we work a lot of hours, see a lot of people, and I make a lot of hats. He can't be expected to love them all as much as I do. I love them most when I bump into them in public. I have to restrain myself from patting people's heads.
Anyway.
I came up with about 437 different complicated options for a system of keeping track of what sells – each one more difficult and elaborate than the previous. One involved pulleys. One was so expensive that we'd have to remortgage our son to pay for it. Then I discovered the Tonic Studios 806 Mini Rotary Perforator, which I purchased for under $10 from Amazon.com (I'm not sure if you've heard of them, but they are on online shop that sells pretty much every item in existence. They aren't very well-known, though, so I am sure they will appreciate this plug from me). Then I found these super fancy little tiny tags with strings already attached to them at our local Stationer's shop, AKA Staples. And some Sharpies of color and a new pen.

Remarkably, the Tonic Studios 806 Mini Rotary Perforator actually works. I've perforated nearly every perforatable surface in my house. Including my tags.


Let's pretend that the crooked nature of the perforated portion is an aesthetic choice. 
I just tied those fancy little things onto a hat and hung them up for sale.
Now all we have to do, is trick some unsuspecting sucker into buying a hat, rip the perforated portion off the tag and promptly lose it.

In theory, we will save the ripped off part long enough that I can delete the hat from my etsy shop, record the sale in my sale-recording spot, and mark the hat as sold in my Hats For Sale database.

I even added a secret super special code on each tag that will correspond with a number in the Hats For Sale database. Only, in real life, my etsy shop has been unattended for so long that the squatters have built-in shelving and this Hat For Sale database does not yet exist.
Still, the code looks fancy.




Pin It

1 comment: