Monday, February 13, 2012

Kelee: Making Handmade Valentines

We are sharing a family cold. (Except for Ben, whose clean living has finally caught up with him. It's funny. I figured I'd only ever say that sentence sarcastically.) We've been cooped up for days determined to keep this cold to ourselves. We're stingy like that. When medicated, we don't feel terrible so we have been going a little crafting crazy. Besides, we are all in the Valentine's mood. Even Gritty Kitty. Don't ask about why she's furless in those furless spots. It's best you don't know.
The Girlchild is still young enough to not be jaded about Valentine's Day. She has yet to experience the pain of unrequited love, loneliness, broken hearts, and those obnoxious people who preach about how we should show love all year long and not just on one day. I'm happy I was born all year long, but I'm not going to bake myself a birthday cake everyday. Although, now that I've thought of the idea...
This was us for most of the morning yesterday. Luckily, it was super duper cold so we didn't feel like we were missing out on much by being stuck inside. We decided to make little heart necklaces for Apple's friends at school.

Our original plan was to put three hearts on each necklace, but when we actually got around to making them we found these pretty pink seed beads that we'd bought about a thousand years ago and decided to go with two beads and one heart.

They turned out really sweet looking.

I also got to recycle a bunch of necklace wire because tiny little girls have tiny little necks.

I made them where they'd fit the little girls about the same spot where I like necklaces to fit me. I asked Apple if any of the girls have exceptionally large necks, but she was little help.

While I was making these, Apple spent a very long time working on a butterfly.

She developed her own technique for making it and worked on it for a few hours. It was pretty impressive to see her work so long on something. Must have been the fever. It was a lot of work. Each little blob was individually made and added. I am not saying it is the most butterflyish looking creation, but I am saying I am impressed with her arting skills.

She's going to give it as a Valentine gift to someone but she can't say who, and I'm not allowed to ask questions. She also made a heart using the same technique.

Then we made some handmade Valentine Cards. I cut out the hearts for her and she did the rest. Our supplies were limited to construction paper, red glitter, glue, and markers.
I asked about the "Wee Love" one. She said it was "Wee! like on a roller coaster and love. Get it?" Maybe I do. I suggested that she give that one to Isaiah since we know his parents.


And finally, we made some bigger hearts to give to Apple's favorite teachers as pins. Only we have no pins. I am not sure what we're going to do about that. I've exhausted our one local option for crafty-supply shopping. Oh well. We have until tomorrow to decide.

I think this will be my last blog post about Valentine's Day for this year. However, both kids are home sick from school today so you never know what kind of crafting nonsense we'll get into.


No comments:

Post a Comment