Thursday, March 17, 2011

Alison: Oh, it's my week to write?



When I was a wee lass, I loved to draw.



So I went to art school.


I took lots and lots of life drawing classes.









I loved children’s books and wanted to be a children’s book illustrator.







And, I was an incurable romantic.








Then life happened,

blah, blah, blah.


And now, half a lifetime later,

life is such that I can write to you once every two weeks,

and spend two or three days a week

in the basement making things.


So. This is what I am making now.


First I had a *vision* and sketched it out one night when I couldn’t sleep.




I found some soft sculpey in a shop while visiting my sister and mom in Connecticut. So I made a face.


Then I made its body from electric fence wire and batting.










The fabric covering the doll is soft like a baby blanket.














I added a little color to the face,

and voila, my rabbit child.


Maybe I was influenced, deep down, by Maurice Sendak’s illustrations ('In the Night Kitchen' or 'Where the Wild Things Are'), but really I think it was from that series of illustrations I made of the girl and mouse in art school when I wanted to be a children’s book illustrator.


It is on display at Artist in Residence, a cooperative gallery on Main Street in Enosburg.


P.S. I accosted the Fed/Ex man yesterday because ...


My faaaabric arrived!

So I am headed to the cellar now, lighting candles, playing soft music, and will slooowly rip the bag to shreds and bury myself in my new purchases.


And, look at what I bought last night.... (*sight*)

I have NO idea what to do with it, but I looove this fabric and dreamt of it all week, after seeing it last weekend at Jo-Ann's in Burlington. I bought the rest of the bolt.


(*Heavy sigh*)

1 comment: