Friday, February 25, 2011

Kelee: Alien and Robot Jewelry

I was once asked what inspires the jewelry that I make. I had no good answer. Now no one ever asks me, and I have an answer. Isn't that just the way it goes? People also never ask for advice about the few thing which I really feel qualified about giving advice. Which is why my New Years Resolution this year was to give out unsolicited advice. With that in mind, you should increase your intake of beans. They have lots of fiber, protein, vitamins, and taste fabby. But back to the jewelry.

When I first moved to Vermont, I was amazed at the number of people who claim to not have a tv. According to the official list of Stuff that White People Like, white people like not having a tv. And Vermont is very white. I agree that if you do it wrong, tv can be the most annoying thing on the planet. Luckily, I know how to do it right. TV on DVD. Watch Instantly. These are the tools necessary for successful tv-viewing. But back to the jewelry.

My husband is obsessed with science, nature, and animal documentaries. Obsessed. We watch them all of the time. My kids like cartoons. While I sleep through these two types of shows I get ideas like this:

I am a space archeologist. I am flying from galaxy to galaxy. Here is a planet that has had life on it the same amount of time that Earth has. I will visit and see how life played out here. How lucky. I landed right next to an alien archeological dig. Wow. That alien archeologist is offering to let me help with the dig. This excavation is exciting and successful. We have found many pieces of alien fossils and robot remains. After a long day of work, the alien is offering to take me to the local town to observe local lifeforms. This alien beer is delicious, calorie free, and healthy. Interesting, I hadn't noticed how handsome the alien archeologist is until now. And rich.

But back to the jewelry. I decided to make a line of jewelry based on this fantasy, er, inspirational artistic experience. I have been using a really nice Cone 6 white porcelain for a few years now, and I found these glazes that were perfect for this series. The alien fossil glaze is the weirdest mix of silver and green that I've ever seen. It's very earthy and organic and metallic and shiny all at once.


One robot remains glaze is a really beautiful rusted iron-looking blue and brown.

The other is oil-spotted black.

I am so happy with how these pieces turned out that I will definitely revisit this fantasy, er, inspiration before I move on.

What's that you say? Where can you get your own alien fossil or robot fossil necklace? I'm glad you asked. They are available at The Flying Disc in the beautiful historic downtown of Enosburg Falls, Artist In Residence also in the beautiful historic downtown of Enosburg Falls, and online at my etsy shop.















And in the interest of more unsolicited advice, be sure to stay hydrated.

1 comment: