Monday, January 10, 2011

Inspired by Mullets

I'm pretty free-wheeling in my crocheting. I tend to make up my pattern as I go along, and I seldom repeat a pattern. At least that's how I used to be. A few months ago I crocheted my first series. I started to make a blanket for my daughter using these scrap yarns. She's five and very into her "favorite color", which changes daily but tends to be pink, purple, glitter, or shiny.
I won't give you the details of my stash overflow problem that I was trying to correct, but I will say that the first step in correcting this problem is finding a good pattern. I was following this pattern

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/AfghansThrows/LW1646+Crochet+Hexagon+Throw.htm

As if to encourage me to sit for hours and hours and crochet, Netflix added Bones as a Watch Instantly selection. Whole seasons with no commercials. I watched Bones obsessively for at least three seasons straight and worked on this blanket.

As I worked, I imagined how one day Bones and Booth would find my bones wrapped in this blanket under a stash pile gone amiss and how much they'd appreciated the intricate handiwork and the gentle shape of my bones. "Her ass bones indicate that she spent hours sitting," Bones would say. Booth, examining my couch would answer, "Bones, I think I got something. There are definite ass indentations here. And check out her recently watched queue." The beauty of the blanket and the indentations would lead them to profess their love for each other. Then I ran out of some of the main colors. As I could see it, I had a few choices:

  1. buy more of the yarn that I was trying to use up

  2. use other yarns that I had stashed regardless of color

  3. take a break

I took a break.

During my break from the blanket, I was making celebrity slouchy beanies so that even regular people could look like celebrities at the airport in those "They're just like us" trash magazine layouts. When you are making a hat, you really only have to count during the making of the crown. After that, it's pretty much stitch for stitch until you get to the brim. One day in a flash of celebrity trash magazine/Bones inspired genius, I decided to try to use one of the motifs as the crown of a hat. The colors were so intensely bright and pink that I tried to tone it down with some neutral colors like black, brown, and cream. I thought of the mullet. I really like hairstyles with a motto.



I liked the initial hat that I made and decided to make more.

The more hats I made, the more tweaks I made. I was trying different ideas with each hat to get the final product exactly as I was wanted. I always thought repeating the same pattern would be too boring for me (you know, because of my vast intelligence and creativity and laziness), but I actually found the process of trying to get the hat to be exactly right to be quite exciting. Watching that much Bones unleashed my inner meticulous nerd. I probably made ten hats before I got the hat that I really liked.

I altered it slightly to make a more slouchy beanie.

The mullet hats are now on sale at the Artist In Residence Gallery in Enosburg Falls, The Flying Disc also in Enosburg Falls, and at my etsy shop.

3 comments:

  1. I love your piece about your hats! It is awesome! I'd better get started on a project now. - Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous post! I've been knitting and crocheting like a "mad" women these past couple of weeks and now I must see if the next season of Bones is available on Netflix! Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seasons 1 - 5 are up. And awesome.
    I'd love to see what you've been making.

    ReplyDelete