Monday, September 12, 2011

Alison: Hello Doll-y



I've been making girly dolls. The thought process took a lot longer than the making process, I must admit - especially the what to wear part. The fabric for the dresses is light, airy and beautiful. Nearly all of it came from Delectable Mountain Fabrics in Brattleboro, VT. The bottom layer on the blonde doll is a fine linen from Leipzig, Germany where my daughter is spending her sophomore year of high school.




I've decided to rip the fabric along the grain. I love the unfinished look - I have a tendency to get too tight with my work sometimes and I want to keep loose with this series.



These three dolls are hanging around the living room naked. This group is made of natural colored linen. The blonde hair is vintage linen and the black hair is silk. The doll above is a tribute to Patti Smith.I just read her book about her relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe. It was an inspirational read. I must admit I don't know her work, other than what is in the book "Just Kids," but I love her sensitivity and her devotion to art.

• • •

While in the ripping fabric mood, I made a skirt out of fabric I HAD to have from Nido in Burlington, Vermont. 



I ripped a piece to about knee length, sewed three channels 1/2" wide and threaded 3/8" elastic through the channels. The fabric is a soft cotton. I will wear the skirt with leggings. Lying in bed at night I was thinking of ripping the skirt in 4 vertical places and placing triangular insets - to make the skirt more full at the base. I'll try that with the next one.

1 comment:

  1. I love the skirt!!!! And your dolls are beautiful as always :)

    ReplyDelete